Sunday, November 22, 2009

"TIME IS ON MY SIDE,YES IT IS"

Today 46 years ago November 22,1963 was the day I lost my innocence. I remember that day very clearly I was attending Walnut Jr. High and around 2:30 pm a teacher informed the class that the President of the United States John. F. Kennedy was shot and killed in a motorcade in Dallas,Texas. Being only 13 years old at the time I didn't realize how this incident would change the world forever or for that matter my life and the days that followed. The world changed November 22,1963. First disbelief, sadness, and I thought, I didn't even know he was in Dallas? We were sent home a few minutes early and I remember walking into the house with the T.V. on CBS news and my mother with tears in her eyes. That Sunday in front of a live T.V. audience I watched Jack Ruby assassinate Lee Harvey Oswald right in front of my eyes. I called to my father to come in the living room and, to say he was is shock would be an understatement.
September 11,2001 the attack on the World Trade Center, the news came over the radio that a small plane had crashed into the building. A coworker said the pilot must have flown into the building due to bad weather. I remembered watching the news that morning and the reports were that the whole east coast would have a beautiful day. As the news reports came in and we watched that day unfold I knew again the world would not be the same on September 12, 2001. I remember people telling me they remember where and what they were doing on December 7,1941 when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.
I looked at my grandson yesterday and hoped, yes even prayed he wouldn't have certain days burned into his memory for reasons like these.

3 Comments:

At November 23, 2009 at 5:46 AM , Blogger Big John said...

I have the same hopes and fears, but I know that thruth is that it is impossible for it not to happen. I know that humanity is incapable of allowing us to think that for one minute life is easy. I truly beleive that these things are mans way of trying to say that they are in charge. I remember where I was for many big events that happened through the years and find that all it ever didd for me was give me something sad to have in common with millions of people. JT

 
At November 23, 2009 at 9:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the 4th grade at Huntington when JFK was assassinated. The principal at the time, Margaret Slater, came to each classroom to individually make the announcement of his death (this was her second round--earlier she had done the same to inform everyone of the shooting). I remember a collective gasp and shock echoing through the room . Following this the entire school gathered around the American flag on the front lawn, and a short observance was held with a prayer (remember when that was permitted??). I guess I was old enough to understand some of the gravity of the tragedy, but not completely, just that it was probably the first time I really paid attention to a national story. Little did anyone realize in 1963 what sort of upheavals would subsequently ensue in the years to come...

 
At November 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i recall being in tennessee visiting my grandparents and other family when Robert Kennedy was shot. i remember everyone watching the news accounts as i was 6years old wanting to go fishing. i recall my cousin who was a teenager at the time crying and not wanting to play. funny how at younger ages we looked at everything so different.

the fun news memories of the news was watching the moon shots back then. mom and dad let us stay up late or woke us up early to watch em. we would be all fired up for the rest of the day.

i agree with term. i have those same fears for my kids and grandchildren. i know that freedom does not come free.

i also know when your number one, someone is waiting to take your place, knock you down or stab you in the back. thats what alot of the world is trying to do to us Americans now.

maddog

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home