Tuesday, July 11, 2017

"TIME IN A BOTTLE" jim croce



If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that had never come true...


By now most of people in Painesville have come across IF YOU GREWUP IN PAINESVILLE. on Facebook. Contributors bring interesting pictures as well as facts about Painesville. The administrator of the post is a Bill Smith who does a great job.

Now in the last few days billboards around town are showing the county administration new office building that will replace the Dorothy Allen building recently torn down.  The comments seem to be a little bit on the negative side. Mainly because it doesn't fit into the Veteran Park architecture. That said what in Downtown Painesville does? It seems part of downtown was designed by George Washington and a little further away by George Jetson! If we have a theme it is there is no theme. With the construction of the new Morley Library I thought our city leaders had decided on a Connecticut Western Reserve look?

When the county commissioner's proposed the new building at the most were two city resident's in attendance. The Planning Commission ask some of the right questions but it appeared the county had made up it's mind including what and where the building would be. After the election in November the county representatives were very vague on how/if the project would move forward.

I guess my only point is we have to show more concern at the beginning than after the plans are conceived.

SILLY SEASON!

First off I must commend the city administration on the progress the street levy has made in the first five year. But as with most government entities someone comes up with a genius idea? Replacing all the brick street's in Painesville. Mentor Ave. Park Place, St. Clair St. even Railroad St.?  Cost $725,000 give or take a few bricks. All to be replaced with red concrete and brick design like the crosswalks. (Take a look at the beating those crosswalks take by snowplows during the winter?) Now speaking for myself there is no way I will renew this levy if this is the purpose of a street levy. From calls today three other people are in agreement. ( Front page Tuesday (7/11/17) News-Herald.

On suggested I bring back the NO! signs

No not this time.... new color's and language how about;

LEVY THIS !

Someone suggested selling the brick? I'll buy a couple and find homes for them !

Cut the grass, plow the street's fund the police and fire department. repair chuckholes but quit trying to be Senator's and Congressmen operating under the "Golden Dome"

6 Comments:

At July 13, 2017 at 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The design on that building is all wrong. I thought the idea in planning was always to keep the buildings looking like the rest of downtown. The only thing this does is please the county. I wish the county would stop what they do in buying and destroying every building in Painesville. Think ahead peeps, the new jail and that beautiful co-operative extension house across from the current jail that is to be demolished.
BTW - Party in the park this weekend - great time to leave and not show your homes for sale if you really want to sell.

 
At July 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

12:14
Just so you know, "planning" (assuming you mean the Planning Commission) has very little, if anything, to do with the design of the building.
In this case, the City hired an outside architect to assist the City Administration in making the build fit or work with surrounding structures. I haven't seen the final design but I have to say that it could not be easy to make anything new fit with what we have.
Think about it, the surrounding buildings include the Court House, the church, the Nolan Building, and Victoria Place. Are you able to tell me that YOU could design a building that fits in the middle of those structures but doesn't "offend" anyone?
I know I couldn't and I doubt that you could.
As long as it doesn't end up looking like our 25 year old POS jail, it should be okay.

 
At July 21, 2017 at 9:59 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

12:07 Well then City Hall got robbed again! When presented by the county it showed an Atrium for lunch and socializing, but not open to the general public? Nice uh? Our job is completed after we shell the money out. Yes it is a hard spot not to offend someone but I expected a building more in the Morley Library style. Now who did I offend?
12:14 Soon the jail will be a memory...Building a new one across the street!
A resident who left Painesville years ago came to visit asked "what happened to the hospital?" I answered we didn't need it anymore no one gets sick or injured. Wonder if we could do that with the jail?

 
At July 21, 2017 at 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The people of Painesville had better wake up soon. What brings people into your downtown isn't Wine and Chocolate or Farm and Flea but jobs real jobs that bring people into our city. This town has pretty much done everything possible to drive any employer out of town and left us with just government buildings and employee's. I agree with Term how do you loss a hospital? automobile dealerships and even the VA? Someone's asleep at the wheel at city hall.

 
At July 21, 2017 at 10:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Term,
12:07 here
I remember hearing about the atrium but I wasn't aware that it isn't open to the great unwashed. OTOH, what did I expect?
If you think that is bad, wait until you hear that the top floor has a conference room/party room that no one outside of the County Administration is ever likely to see.
Like I said, I have not seen any final drawings so I reserve judgement until I do but I have to ask, is it better than the jail?? That is one of the all time f-ugliest buildings I have ever seen.

 
At July 21, 2017 at 11:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

12:07 YOU are right! I probably couldn't design a building to match identical buildings that exist BUT I sure as heck wouldn't make it stand out like a sore thumb the pictured rendition showed. Sorry, take a look at other communities that build, move forward and thrive with the same looks. I think its a dirty shame that the county keeps gobbling up city properties. They got a new jail and because of P.P.Planning have to build another monstrosity. I keep thinking of that Taj Mahal of human services wasting so much space on the corner. What a waste.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home