Thursday, August 20, 2015

"BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY" bette midler



'Of Company B'

My favorite event of summer is happening this weekend.

D-Day Conneaut

This is a reenactment of D-Day in 1944 when Allied troops stormed the Normandy beaches.

To be honest the first time I attended this event over a decade ago I held little promise of  having a worthwhile time at this event. First off it was Free as it still is.  What kind of show can you put on if it's free? What a pleasant surprise they put on one Hell of a show.

From the Higgins landing crafts,  to the German machine gun nests along with authentic P-51 providing air cover flying low enough standing on the ledge you can see the pilots  as they fire their machine guns.

This year a German 88 will also join the fray. In the past even an operating Sherman Tank.

This is one special tribute to our fathers, and grandfathers along with some grandmothers who sacrificed so much for all of us.

Years ago when my father was still alive I took him to the event. He had  the onset of dementia which had already set in but as we entered the American encampment his eyes lit up as he remembered many of the items on display. As we walked he hadn't noticed we had walked into the German encampment he looked around with that look I shouldn't be in here and looking at me I got the idea that he thought, well I know better than to follow him.

Over 1,500 reenactors participate  all in WWII dress, mock battles,

The big invasion battle takes place at 3:00PM on Saturday.  You won't be disappointed.

2 Comments:

At August 20, 2015 at 4:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Id rather be in DDay in the ville. Hopefully council will wake up and then the stuff will hit the fan under the golden dome - Maybe we'll get some fireworks from the Metroparks too.

 
At August 24, 2015 at 10:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well took your advice and went to Conneaut Saturday to view the D-Day reenactment. They put on one Hell of a show. The surprise was a low flying B-17 pounding German artillery nests.
I guess after the 55 minute battle I expected many dead bodies on the beach but there wasn't any?
Also Like yourself I can't figure out how they put this massive program on and not charge? Busses, golf carts, ammunition, fuel for four planes unbelievable! Bought a T-shirt and a program but no how could this cover costs. Thanks for the heads up glad I went.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home