Friday, May 24, 2013

"WANDERING" kristina train

I have been wandering around thinking about next Tuesday's Special Council Meeting 05/28/13. This is a special meeting on if and when along with how much we will need for a new Safety, and Road levy. To present to the voters in November.

I have always mentioned to the administration they must put forward good faith measures to the residents before asking for more funds.
One example is the recently discussed  CDBG better known as the E-BEE-GEE-B grant funds. I guess with the roads in there present conditions our Public Works Director Mr. Lynch could have asked for money for that pot hole filler truck for the use of a month? Maybe hes old-fashioned and likes the 1930 method. Councilwoman Jenkins as well as Councilman Hach along with myself forward all that information to the administration. Than again in the wisdom of that administration they decided rather to paint privately owned storefronts downtown? These decisions are one of the reasons presently I wouldn't give them another dime.

Let's try a different approach? What can the city do without to save money?
Well we already tried to save money at the two city cemeteries. That was met with almost an heterodox objection from the administration. I guess are goals are to provide expensive jobs?
So lets look elsewhere. My favorite that I affectionately call  'Horvaths Lagoons'  The city almost ten years ago took general fund money and purchased 16 acres of property along the Grand River by the Richmond St. bridge going into Fairport Harbor for $250,000. Now Painesville since the purchase not one thing has been done with this property. I know real estate is low presently but get rid of it if your not going to use it? I know there is no buyer for that property at $250,000 but maybe at $100,000? Someone told me when the city purchased this property it was worthless and it still is. Let's find out.

Does Painesville really need a Water Department? If Concord goes with the county in the next contract in 2018 well we could be in trouble. Would the county even consider buying their competition? A bonus we here would pay less for water service. No $8.00 surcharge.

First off the  city of Painesville with 19,000 people really need an assistant manager? Look I like Doug Lewis and he is a plus to have working for us but does he have to hold that title?

I don't know if this fact is correct but the way I read it in the budget the Finance Department has 28 employee's? Could we out source some of those jobs to save money?

Look my goal is not to put people out on the street but at the same time we can't afford to run a social-welfare city system. This city must join the 21st Century.

Now I don't know if there will be a visitors time  to speak at the end of the meeting. These are questions that should be asked. Along with any you can send here and I would be glad to ask for you.
Look just be reasonable in your questions. In the end they are asking you for the funds.

Or we could wander around with nothing but our thoughts?

18 Comments:

At May 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again:

Term, Now is the time for you to put your name on the ballot and run for council. You constantly complain how the city is run, so try and do something, about the problems. No excuses will do, Get off your backside and do it!

 
At May 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

11:34 Along without the desire, age, as well as health.
The changes I would make would be so opposed.
Look council in my eyes believes the most important asset of this city are the employee's.
I don't see it that way. I would expect them to have pay and BENEFITS in line with the private sector.
Can you imagine the knives coming out with that platform?
Has anyone ever even seen the benefit package?
Ever wonder why?

 
At May 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM , Anonymous Not said...

He will never run. He has been challenged to do so before and refused many times. See it's easier to sit at home with a handful of pals and constantly complain, belittle and berate people than to put yourself on the front line to make a difference. Also, once you have walked in council persons shoes you would see what a difficult job it is and he doesn't want to admit that. Walk a mile in my shoes -NOT.

 
At May 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

Not said..I have always stated my position. Yes it is easier to sit at home and question what's going on.
Complain O.K. belittle, and berate?

All I ask is what they all promised to do when they ran for office. I know It is a difficult job.
Just please don't constantly tell us half truths or be lead around by their nose by others..

The only thing anyone should expect is that they have always looked out for in the best interest's of the residents in the city. Always be able to look any one of us in the face and know you have always been honest with them.
Somehow purchasing a vehicle with less than a 15 minute discussion, or voting for a grant you really have discussed with fellow members appears to not be the way to do business?

Look if the city as well as the schools were running in excellent condition, I would crawl back in my rabbit hole too. Look around, is this the best we can do?

We all should be complaining.

 
At May 26, 2013 at 4:00 AM , Blogger Sandy Miller said...

Seriously, look at our population and look who runs for council. Can we please get a few younger people to run? How about Daryl and I am sorry I cannot remember his last name at the moment..... He organized Unity in the Community so many years ago. I am so tired of the ties to the school board and only a small representation of who really loves here.
Council is a lot of work for the return. Mi also believe if we raised the salary more people would run.

 
At May 26, 2013 at 7:48 AM , Anonymous Not Again said...

You would never go away. You will/ would always find someone and or something to disagree with and about. You could wake up to blue skies-everyone in the entire town will be saying how pretty the blue sky is and you will call it any other color than what it is. You just like to argue no matter what. Someday you'll just burn yourself out by doing it all the time.

 
At May 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

Not Again... I would love to wake up to blue skies even if it had a few clouds. Tell me Not Again when you wake up in Painesville in the morning what color presently do you see?
Sandy, Thanks for understanding.

 
At May 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Allin said...

Plus Term gets to deprive all of you Haddaites the chance to vote against him.
I like him exactly where he's at. This is where he does the most good.

 
At May 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What difference does it make, it doesn't matter because you'll only disagree with what is said - that was my point. Sandy, with what money would you propose to give council a raise with? Are you one of these management people who believe in paying from the top down and depriving the little people? Sounds like it from your post.

 
At May 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the election of 2011??? TIBBIT'S AND MURPHY had,. a plan for the street,s and sewers..these two old men would have made it better in painesville. " what happen."

 
At May 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if paying from the top down means that council only is paid $6000 a year?
What should everyone else make?

 
At May 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Sandy Miller said...

Council is more than a full time job. Perhaps a higher salary would entice more qualified residents to run. As one who has a business I could not donate that much of my time. We have an asst. city manager, do we need one? Mr Lewis does a fine job, however we are a city of less than 20,000. Council is supposed to work with the city manager. The city manger can recommend what money needs to be spent. Council then votes, council runs the city. Take the asst. city mangers salary and divide it among council.

 
At May 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

I have to ask you this question it goes to a future post.

Do you believe downtown Painesville is a slum and a blighted area?

Not Painesville Just the downtown area?

 
At May 29, 2013 at 5:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES, I cringe as I drive through this town. It looks like the slums and all I can think of is Detroit. Blighted? We spent time in Cozumel a few years ago; traveled the back roads and this town reminds me of what I saw there. Shacks houses, plastic window covering, junk cars on lawns, animals, chickens in the yards. So what would a cross between Mexico and Detroit be called other than Painesville?

 
At May 29, 2013 at 6:36 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

5:50 Please read my question again. Downtown State St. to the east. Erie St. to the north. Liberty St. to the west. and Washington St. to the south.
Again is this area slum or blighted?

 
At May 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To. 5:50
I have to assume you did not drive in any area other than E Erie St. I live in Painesville and what you describe is not what the majority of this town looks like. All over town you see many homes fixed up or being worked on. I take a strong offence to what your narrow minded view is and I see a lot of our Spanish residence working to landscape their homes and cleaning up the houses. The biggest problem I see with homes are some slum landlords who put nothing into their rentals.

 
At May 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry 10:50 but I live in one those "nice" areas you are referring too. When the bank told us they would not be renewing our home equity loan (we had had for 18 years) we were shocked! We called the bank until we finally got hold of a manager in downtown Cleveland at their main office. We have a letter stating our credit was not in question but in fact we were now considered a blighted community and the bank no longer felt we could get or take equity out of home. Our home is well kept, a century with wall plaque and on a double lot, new windows, roof, foundation and insulation. Also new garage with electricity and water. We felt this home would be our best investment 30+ years ago. We were wrong and now stuck. Two homes on this street have been abandoned. So yes, this is officially a blighted community. Sorry but I see an abandoned Main Street and no shopping or grocery story. A good term would be failure to thrive. You really should get out more as there are other towns thriving, not here. Your standards are very low.

 
At May 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM , Anonymous Let Down said...

5:50 I am not narrow minded and Yes, I drive all around Painesville. I live here, work here, buy my coffee at Dunkin and visit my family on the north end. This town has gone way down. Aside from beautiful landscaping what are your solutions 10:50? I'm out. I left the legal things up to building department and community development within the city and they've let me down.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home