Monday, October 17, 2011

"MY BACK PAGES" the byrds

Want to feel extremely old? Spend a morning with a group of third-graders from Maple Elementary School. Ms. Valvoda invited some long time residents to be interviewed by the students about what it was like growing up in Painesville or living here for a long period.

First, these minds were eager to hear stories about their hometown.
Then we got on what is not here any longer and what was not here when I was their age.

1959… Sorry, no McDonalds, Burger King, Arby’s, Taco Bell, Wendy’s.
No K-Mart, Wall Mart, Home Depot, Lowes. How did you ever survive?

Television… yes we had T.V. but it was in black and white. You mean those gray shows I see sometimes. Yes. You only had three channels! Yes. No remote control? I was the remote control in our house.

No cell phones? No, we had phone booths.

I told them about Toyland of Painesville, Grants Department Store, Kresge’s, and how going downtown to shop was a real adventure. When asked about the Mall in Mentor I told one fellow that at that time there was no mall… his look was that of an empathetic funeral director sizing me up.

That's a picture of your dad's 59 Chevy Impala. Wow, it’s big! There were no Kias, Toyotas or Nissans then? Yes, but not in the United States. We did have foreign cars… VWs Jaguars, Fiats. Mr. Cimaglio, do you think JLO really drives a Fiat? No!

No Internet, no video games computors that were the size of a football field.

By the end of the exercise, I thought maybe, they thought I came over on the Mayflower.

I left them with a thought… that someday they will be asked questions about growing up here by a future group of young students and telling them about the changes they do not even know are coming yet. Study hard, take advantage of the opportunity that you have with an education and never stop dreaming.

What's that? A milk bottle? Milk came in a glass bottle?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On another note, I will be spending November 4th and 7th with the SRO officer at Harvey and I will report on what I see on those days. This came about with the approval of the Police Chief and Superintendent. Thanks again to both for their cooperation.

10 Comments:

At October 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also shared in the event this morning and thought it was a terrific experience for all involved. It was great to see the students enjoying the event and to see the adults reminisce with each other.

The 'old timers' were made up of a who's who of the city and their neighbors, and it was great to see them all there for the future of the city-the children.

Thanks for posting this!

 
At October 18, 2011 at 7:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just what the SRO needs some old idiot getting in the way, I hope they asked to see your insurance and had you sign a relase, in case you get hurt, we don't want to pay your bills, or worse you get in the way and some kid gets hurt, this was wrong in many, many ways to allow you to do this, I think the schools and Police Chief should think about this some more.

 
At October 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Grant's Dept. store. As I recall it was 4 floors, right? I think Woolworth was on that block also. And meeting Romper Room's "Miss Barbara" at Toyland! Seriously, shopping downtown was great. Except for that time the store detective in Carlisle's followed my best friend and I out of the store on suspicion of shoplifting all the way to the front of the Parmly Hotel Coffee shop (who remembers that place?). We did nothing wrong!! I hope they fired that guy! LOL

 
At October 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

7:58 The old idiot knows the rules and will obey them. I signed a relase also?
This is just like a ride along in a police car with an officer.
I'm going to a public high school, not the DMZ?

 
At October 18, 2011 at 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

TERM, just curious. Are you retired? Or do you have flexible work hours to allow you to participate in these events?

 
At October 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

No, I work a 40 hour work week. I have alot of vacation time. I enjoy the participation I've met some great people.
I think Painesville is important to me and after that meeting with the third graders it makes it all worthwhile. Plus I'm not crazy about X-Factor, American Idol, or any reality shows.

 
At October 19, 2011 at 9:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet they will tell the kids to be very good when your there.

 
At October 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM , Anonymous Lighten Up said...

Not the DMZ? The way you blog and paint your picture of Painesville, those reading this blog would believe it is.

 
At October 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

I guess not only myself but everyone on council or the board should spend a couple of days there?

 
At October 20, 2011 at 3:52 AM , Anonymous a co worker said...

Look at it this way. If he's screwing with you he ain't screwing with us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home