Wednesday, October 31, 2012

"OLD MAN" neil young

I'm a lot like you.
In a recent News-herald editorial comment by a Painesville resident made completely clear what I have been trying to get across to people here on the blog. Thomas Matpac a resident who I know slightly wrote an editorial as an answer to one by Cathy Powers in support of the school levy. As I mentioned Tom seems like a reasonable person that has lived in Painesville longer than dirt.
He is not some miser or scrooge and I have heard him mention on time or another that bringing a better life for all Painesville residents was a goal he wished to see.

that said Tom is retired living on a fixed income, wish I could say that mine seems to constantly be broke. In the last two years Tom has received a little over a 1% increase in Social Security about $12.00 a month of that $12.00 $7.00 went towards Medicare increases. Leaving Tom with a monthly net of $5.00. Can anyone explain why Tom should increase his property tax, and for the benefit of who?
We were told if we built all new buildings with the latest technology staff would flock to our schools. It was even mentioned that the new buildings would increase test scores as well as improve our drop out rate?
Now a person like Tom  as many others can't grasp what $11,169.00 a year in funding towards every Painesville student he asks what everyone asks "How much is enough"?
You can go on line and see the salaries of employee's in the district and a person like Tom can ask "How much more do you want"?
As mentioned before Dr. Hanlons salary of close to $150,000 whats our bang for the buck.

I for one believe the district is heading in the right direction although the State Report Card since 2009 may not bear that out.
I mentioned at the last school board meeting two of my grandchildren went to a higher rated district starting this year. It was a situation where my daughter showed concern if they would be behind the curve in their new schools. [PCLS reputation followed these two students as it was also a
concern to the new district.]
Pleased to report the seventh grader has moved into the honors courses she was in at Heritage and the second grader was not behind but his mother was told he was actually ahead in math.

The point of all this is simple first we must find a new way to fund schools. Property owners should not be the only ones facing the burden. Again if you got it vote for it. If your finances don't include a tax increase don't. Along with no one calling misguided or cheap

**********************************************************************************

Received a letter with concerns of the school levy from a group called "Concerned Citizens For Painesville City Local Schools. I would be happy to post your letter but in fairness I want someones name attached to this letter.
I could censor the parts and names mentioned but I feel your points would be better represented with a name or names of people.
Please all of you do you believe I should post the letter the way I received it, censor it, or make someone take responsibility for it?
Example 2006-07 Grad rate 83.2
              2011-12 Grad rate 63.2
I have no problems with facts. My problem is with calling administrator's and BOE out.

5 Comments:

At October 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Springboro, Ohio spends just 7,900 dollars per student.

8 years in row EXCELLENT WITH DISTINCTION !!

 
At November 1, 2012 at 6:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most people are all on "fixed incomes." I don't understand what the point of saying that seniors are on a "fixed income" is. I can't just walk in to my boss' office and say, my property taxes went up, I need a raise. I don't get why we are supposed to feel bad for seniors, when in practice, almost all of us are on this "fixed income."

 
At November 1, 2012 at 7:17 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

6:30 that was the sarcasm in me mentioning my "broke income".
The point I was making that if Tom had only $5.00 in extra income to cover all increases in his life. How can we justify asking him to raise his property tax, and at the same time know many residents living in Brentwood, Kesington will not see their rents go up the same amount as his property tax?
The system is broke.
I was reminded that in the past year Tom went to a BOE meeting and called out the board as well as the administration that if they were running a company in which he was a shareholder he would fire them all. This letter he published didn't come out of left field.
It seems odd no one has mentioned the positives of passing this levy. All I heard is cut,and more cuts. What about at the top?
Will the administrators take a cut? Or can we just count on the people on the ground taking cuts?
Look why should the taxpayers keep sending money to a group at the top that can't do their jobs?
I have spoken with someone about the letter I received and they said I could edit it. So expect that to be the next post.

 
At November 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the letter Mr. Malpac was answering too was sent by the wife of a school board member. Wonder what her views are concerning the board's actions since he husband was appointed and then elected to his seat? Lot more going on at the schools besides technologies?
No matter already voted NO!

 
At November 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM , Anonymous Legal Resident said...

Our house is on a fixed income. Both of us have had wage freezes for the past 3 years and we don't see any coming soon. I'm tired of the whining from the young people and the seniors. We are all on this sinking ship together.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home