Saturday, April 21, 2012

"BURNING BRIDGES" mike curb congregation

Earlier this week I asked Councilman Flock if the city received the grant for the bridge across the CSX tracks that would connect the “Road to Nowhere’ to Diamond Center Drive. Yesterday Andrew let me know through an email that the city manager informed him that Painesville did not receive the grant. My sincere hope is that our City Manager has a Plan "B" now that, on top of the current Cobblestone Apartments, council has voted to authorize the building of 120 more apartments/condominiums in that area. As I wondered about this bridge, I asked Mr. Flock if he had seen a copy of the grant request. Along with Painesville's request for this bridge I hope they also went out of their way to solicit help from other government entities. Were the County Commissioners asked to submit a letter to help Painesville be awarded this state grant? How about Mentor's City Manager or Mentor's Council helping with the request and explain that without the bridge it was putting a strain on traffic along Mentor's eastern border? Lake Health could have explained how important this bridge is to the city to connect this annexed land with the city and saving time on EMS runs? Alternatively, even the Lake County Port Authority could explain the number of tax dollars could be generated to the state if all these businesses that claim they will move into that area if the bridge is completed actually do so. One place you might not see wanting to contribute to helping is Painesville Township who probably believes to this day (with just cause) that the city stole that land right out from underneath them. I have no idea what or who contributed to this grant process… only that it included more than Painesville’s desire for a bridge. The title of the post? "Burning Bridges”. I have been told that Painesville has burned many government entities under the current city leadership using Painesville's ‘my way or the highway’ philosophy. I hope I am wrong. That part of Painesville has been an island too long.

18 Comments:

At April 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never understood why we went ahead and built the road to nowhere when there were no guarantees it could be finished. Was this a gift to Osborn? For his use in developing the land this "Road to Osborn" leads to? Just curious.

 
At April 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are honest with yourself the only grade we could give our city manager and council is an Incomplete.

Millstone, Hospital site, Amp-Ohio,
medical center for Painesville, old hotel demolishion, Steele Mansion, along with this bridge and
more then a host of other things start or not even started by this administration.
I'm with Term on this I don't trust any of them.
Another levy for roads? Why not just tack on another $8.00 to our utility bills?

 
At April 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be sure and give the citizens of this town an incomplete also as they do not wnat their taxes raised therefore, what can get done with a government that is so broke. It is a catch 22,lose/lose situation. Without jobs people have no money and without money taxes aren't voted for(except for Morley, Lakeland, Senior citizens and Deepwood) and gets done.

 
At April 27, 2012 at 7:11 AM , Anonymous WTF said...

Received my Painesville newsletter today. Do they really expect me to believe this? An award for electric reliability?

Also see Harvey can't seem to keep a football coach? This is a lesson to someone. Get on your hands and knees and get Coach Starkey back coaching. Let Coach Wallings return to football and just admit you made a mistake. Next time stick up for your staff and don't let a bunch of parents with ideas with no merit change your mind.

 
At April 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

breaking news....man shot in painesville, on st. clair....

 
At April 29, 2012 at 5:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breaking News...Man escapes from Lake County Jail on Friday 4/27/12

 
At April 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's this about the Ymca leaving Painesville? I get this survey to take saying they will do one of the following and I had to vote for which one:
1. Stay in Painesville with massive renovations
2. Move to Diamond Center
3. Move near Tripont
4. Move to Tyler blvd near Lake Health urgent care
5. Move near the Mentor Civic Center.

What a blow to Painesville if this moves! Although I can understand why they might want to given the element that has been there lately.

Anyone else hear about this?

 
At April 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

breaking news....man shot in painesville, on st. clair....

Breaking News...Man escapes from Lake County Jail on Friday 4/27/12

Breaking News...Shooter caught....

Breaking News...escapee caught....

Why don't you comment on this and not only the bad...

 
At April 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

Ask the person who sends in the Breaking News?

I only post them.

I am glad the shooter got caught as well as the escapee being caught.

You should see some of the breaking news I can't verify.

 
At April 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

Anybody want to bet those under the "Golden Dome" have no idea about this YMCA survey?

 
At April 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

Well I have been told they are aware of the survey, and don't seem to be to worried about it?
Wonder if thias is how the hospital left?

 
At April 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just the idea of the Y looking to relocate should be enogh to scare the residents in Painesville to demand the city do everything possible to keep them in Painesville.

 
At April 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most people in Pvll can't afford the YMCA! too expensive! no wonder they want to move...They want to be around people who have money and pay the high cost of being a member. Sounds kinda like the hospital???

 
At April 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM , Anonymous AnnOn said...

April 29, 1:21PM Please expand on your comment "I can understand why they might want to given the element that has been there lately.
I for one have been unhappy with the amount of money I have to pay to belong then pay for additional classes. When others pay on a sliding scale or not at all. I do not feel it is fair for me to pick up their slack. It is a privilege to belong not a gimmie.
In addition to this I was appalled to see the showcase for minority achievers (African Americans and Hispanics). I thought they were for equality not segregation. Where are the white achiever clubs?
It's too bad the Heisley Racquet club is out of my budget cuz I'd rather go there.

 
At April 30, 2012 at 6:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

regarding the ymca poll I think everyone should vote to put it by mentor civic center so maybe the undesireables will invade that area and maybe fill up the mentor pool too, although I doubt it as it's too expensive for a non resident to take a family there

 
At April 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I heard the discussion about the YMCA moving while shopping at Giant Eagle. People were very upset that they had received this survey. Some council people knew about this survey and others didn't. I also share my concern about how this is being done. The hospital bought their land and then told the city they were moving. The YMCA calls their survey a long range planning tool.
I call it their ticket to out of Painesville!

 
At May 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

how was this survey received? Did it come in the mail?

 
At May 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Survey was received through e-mail. Wish I could forward it, but it said "unable to forward" when I tried.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home