Friday, March 3, 2017

"FREE BIRD" lynyrd skynyrd


If I Leave Here Tomorrow
Would you Still Remember Me

Well I'm  back, I subconiously  have been trying to put this post off.
While I was off on my own foray at Tri-Point I learned the passing of my dear friend Tony Torre.

Over the past ten years I had got a lot closer to Tony. He was a connection to my father although younger he remembered him in his youth and shared stories about him and other families that lived in the Northend of Painesville. He reminded me of my uncles vineyard on Sanford St. and many other people who lived there. Tony Pizzie who built a garage on Chester St. and later became head mechanic at Lockie-Lee who once told me  "If I had known the problems you would cause me I would have drowned you as a kid" I don't think he was kidding! This after a brand new truck engine blew up after less than a thousand miles. Even after the factory representative cleared me. Such affection and love in that neighborhood. Mrs. Dolce's canning Mrs. Stanzi's pizza.

Many of those Italian families left the Northend but neither Tony or I blamed them its what America is. But for some reason Tony and I always felt comfortable living there. I believe Tony missed many of them. Tony served in the military during WWII and enjoyed traveling to the WWII Memorial in Washington D.C. in his later years after a long successful career at TRW.

Tony was far more diplomatic than I ever will be. If some of you only knew what he thought of the Main Street Streetscape! Once he got mad at me after he brought up same sex marriage at a council meeting. I asked what do you think they can do? Well they can do something he answered.

He is best known for his automobile collection of mostly Model T and A vehicles. He used to get questioned about how much this one or that one was worth. I think it upset him because that was not the reason for the collection . He told me once "collect what you like and you will never regret it."
First off Model T and A are worth a chunk of change but not in the same category as a Cuda' or a COPO Camaro. Just a nice collection of the past. I have no idea what will become of his collection but by some stroke of luck I hope the Vulcan that was manufactured in Painesville is not lost to us.

Know I am a far better person knowing Tony and I will miss him. He was Mr. Painesville

So Goodbye My Friend

Life Is Just A Ride On the Wheel

4 Comments:

At March 3, 2017 at 10:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony was a staple at Council meetings.
When Council "allows" residents all of 3 minutes to speak, not one Council members had the stones to cut him off.
RIP Tony, you will be missed.

 
At March 4, 2017 at 4:55 AM , Anonymous Adam said...

Can't say I agreed with Tony on everything (or even half of everything), but I knew he genuinely cared about Painesville and would never take that away from him. I'm sorry you lost your friend.

Welcome back. Hope you are well.

 
At March 4, 2017 at 12:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIP Tony. He is one of a kind. And welcome back Term, we missed you. I suspect some missed you more than others.

 
At March 5, 2017 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Sandy Miller said...

I will miss Tony driving his beautifully restored Taxi in the Memorial Day parade. He always waved and looked like he was really enjoying himself.
I will miss him at council meetings....... best lesson from Tony; just show and show them you're paying attention!
Hope you're driving the shiniest Model T and still waving Tony!

Nice to see you back Term :)!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home