Tuesday, April 5, 2016

"I'VE SEEN FIRE AND I'VE SEEN RAIN" james taylor

BULLETIN

This morning at approx. 0849 hrs. school officials were notified  of an alleged weapon hidden in a restroom at Harvey High School. Painesville Police SRO Immediately secured the bathroom. The weapon was subsequently recovered and secured quickly. The police department additionally requested a K9 unit from the Geauga County Sheriff's Office and completed a search of the building. Students and staff were secure in their classrooms until the search was completed. The investigation is still ongoing and the weapon will be inspected and tested to determine if it is an operational firearm.
The school is working with the police department to complete its investigation to ensure the safety of our student's. Please know that that the safety and security of our schools are a priority.
TGrimm@ Painesville.com

*******************************************************************************
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend


This brings up the two items on the City Council agenda last night . Which both passed 7-0. The church rezoning as well as Cashen Cement getting a variance to vacate .43 acre of Mathews St. A reminder the trucks will not use Mathews St. They will enter  and exit off W. Prospect St. only.

Many Heisley Park residents attended the meeting looking for answer's on the recent rash of burglaries in there neighborhood. There seemed to have been some miscommunication and Chief Powalie  explained the city's situation  quite well. Along with CM Carson comment.

I again questioned where the city was on Checkbook Ohio and was told we would probably be on line within a month.
I questioned the situation with the leave pick-up, at the last meeting CM Carson didn't believe it would be expensive? So I suggested the city pick-up the cost.
Then what do the seniors get for the $1,200 the city will be paying the YMCA for rent? do they get a room? access to what? I was told the city was looking into this.
Then the meeting went downhill.

Remember I mentioned these garbage contracts were my tipping point? addressing council;
Well first I was told that $96,000 was for a delinquent collection fee, then later a franchisee fee and even  later councilman DeLeone suggested it was WM paying to fix our roads? I questioned what was it for?

As far as I know no public notice was issued about this $96,000.  Neither were council people informed of it. Just slipped into the general fund.

I questioned if the city received free refuse pick-up at our city facilities? Yes .it's in the contract. Sorry I can't find it? I was told It's there.

Well as to not being one to surprise people to much, I told the council I was taking everything ordinances, contract later this week to the Lake  County Prosecutor on the legality of the contract as well as the ordinance. This all at least seems unethical to me.

They mandate the refuse must be picked up, they pick the contractor, and they seem to enrich themselves first before the resident's welfare (free pick-up at city facilities, along with the magical $96,000)

Well things then went south fast.

First Law Director Gurley felt insulted and yelled that I even suggested the city had done anything wrong. Then suggesting he would walk me over to the prosecutor's  office! I yelled back great maybe you can answer some questions when we're there! Councilman Hach, Fodor and DiNallo put a stop to the conversation.

Now after the meeting a resident could not understand my reason for complaining about the city receiving free refuse service? I explained it was not free we pay for it in our bills, nothing is free!  Along with I explained how many times have we been told electric, water revenue can not be put in the general fund? Why is it now O.K. that resident's pay for these department refuse pick-up? Since there is no invoice could that extra 12 pounds per resident be city refuse? Do people in Eastlake pay to pick-up First Energy refuse? Is there even a cemetery, water plant in Eastlake?

Thinking back if our bills were in line with the rest of the county maybe this wouldn't have taken place?

Mom watching the meeting on the computer today,  afterwards just said get your two-wheeler my chair is gone! Thanks for the support Mom!

18 Comments:

At April 5, 2016 at 8:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make an excellent point about there not being a city invoice for their rubbish. That might be where a lot of that 12 # comes from.
I'm glad someone is looking out for us!

 
At April 5, 2016 at 9:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I was surprised by the reaction of the Law Director.
In the first place this is business, nothing personal. Why he would resound that way is a mystery to me.
Second, if nothing has been done that is wrong, why would he be concerned?
People generally get upset when they are caught in something that makes them uncomfortable.
BTW, when I think back over the contracts he has "negotiated", not one of them stands out as being good for the residents.

Like Term, I have looked over the most recent copy of the garbage contract and the addendum's and I find no mention of the City being entitled to, or receiving, free garbage collection. I would invite a member of Council (specifically one who might be an attorney) to look it over and find the language that gives this to the City.
As Term points out, NOTHING is for free in this world. Someone is picking up that tab and that someone is us.

 
At April 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

9:10 I had mentioned to some I expected what I got. That said it is business and maybe over the passed free months our law director could have chimed in on this situation? He never did until he felt threatened? What do they say, silence can't be misquoted? I like Joe Gurley and I'd rather have what happened last night then some mushy politically correct response. Go up there and expect to give it and take it.

 
At April 5, 2016 at 12:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see nothing on the PCLS website?
About this incident?

 
At April 5, 2016 at 12:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprised? It will be once someone clues them in that Tern has it on the blog.

 
At April 5, 2016 at 2:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What also really seems illegal to me is how it is mandatory for every building/house to have/pay for garbage pick up even if it's vacant. It's just all very shady. And how the new owners and/or occupiers have to pay for the unpaid fees for any buildings, including those unoccupied places. It's all just very untoward, and so much of it should be illegal.

 
At April 5, 2016 at 6:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gun was Loaded. Does anyone believe the police couldn't tell if it was a real gun? It has to be inspected and tested? Hmmm maybe we need a better test to hire our Painesville police.

 
At April 6, 2016 at 4:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's going on with the waste contract between the contractor and the city seems like something straight out of the Mafia to me. And the citizens are the victims of this collaboration. I can't believe they are getting away with it, and I think it's another thing that we need investigated. How many things can a city just keep getting away with perpetrating on the citizens? We need investigations here.

 
At April 6, 2016 at 5:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you insult someone, they might get upset. Not surprising.

 
At April 6, 2016 at 10:18 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

6:33 You appear to send us facts? If you had just done that I would have never posted your comment. Anonymous tips? Need a name even if I don't post it! But no you go farther and besmirch the integrity of our police officers? They have procedures to follow for a host of reason you have failed to mention. Wonder what your tone would be if they didn't and a criminal was let free? Maybe a better test is to allow some to become resident's here?

4:39 I plan to take it all up to the county prosecutors office Thursday.

5:18 The residents of Painesville seems the only ones insulted!

 
At April 6, 2016 at 12:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you check the comments at the Plain Dealer site you will see others have the same concern regarding the police not knowing if the gun was real or not.
Here are a few comments:
1.If investigators have to "work" to determine if this gun is real or fake, they better be fired, NOW!
2.I could tell in 10 seconds or less if it was real or not, and so can they. So, the question becomes, why are they stalling on saying which it is.
3."Investigators are still inspecting and testing the gun to determine if it is real or a replica gun, police said in a statement"
Maybe see if you can put a bullet in it?
4.Illegal Alien Illegally Selling Guns To Illegal Aliens In Painesville
A Painesville resident who authorities believe is in the United States illegally was arrested Tuesday after admitting to buying guns and selling them to undocumented immigrants, court filings show.
To #3 There was a bullet -

 
At April 6, 2016 at 2:03 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

12:23 Lets follow the procedure. See where this gun came from?
Lets know the facts

 
At April 6, 2016 at 4:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this the same law director who approved the AMP Ohio contract...... nothing else needs to said!

 
At April 6, 2016 at 8:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Rita McMahon telling the public that Utility Division money can only be spent in the specific Utility Department. She even said it was against Ohio State Mandate and if money was misappropriated City Officials could be guilty of theft in office. Now Waste Management is picking up waste at our Electric, Water and Sewer Departments and kicking back payola to our General Fund. Sounds to me like an episode of the Sopranos.

 
At April 7, 2016 at 7:45 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

Well I soon will be posting the letter to the County Prosecutor I will soon drop off copies at city hall today.


someone mentioned all I accomplish is to "bitch" about stuff? So instead of getting quiet stares or on occasionally getting yelled at council meeting. It's time to let someone else give an opinion of this refuse situation. I have no idea where this will all go. I don't have high expectations. But if the city can function like this there is something wrong with the system.
My major problem was in the addendum for the extension of the contract they give the city $48,000 a year 4 and another $48,000 for year 5. At the same time raising rates for Painesville customers? Also how can the city make residents pay for pick-up at city facilities?

 
At April 7, 2016 at 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the biggest red flag is that it is even mandatory for vacant houses/buildings to have the service, and the charges just keep building up so the owner of the place needs to pay it or the new owner gets slapped with it when they are in the midst of buying it. If that doesn't sound like Mafia to me, nothing does. I would really like to know how that could be legal.

 
At April 9, 2016 at 9:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charges filed in Harvey High gun case-Yet we still haven't heard if it is a real gun or not? How does this work? OR the gun was real and it was loaded like the above person said and you disputed until proof.


 
At April 9, 2016 at 10:32 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

The 17-year old boy was charged with illegal conveyance of an object indistinguishable from a firearm into a school safety zone and disorderly conduct. Both misdemeanor charges.

Me, if it looks like a gun, handled like a gun...It just might be a gun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home