Monday, April 4, 2016

"CENTERFIELD" john fogerty


Well, beat the drum and hold the phone
The sun came out today!

Opening day for our Cleveland Indian's ,  31 degrees and cold rain  no Sun

A sellout at Progressive Field , it's tradition.

Some years our Tribe has hitting but no pitching and some years we have pitching and no hitting. Then there are years we seem to have neither?

GAME CALLED!


This year something's just different? As the owner's try to apprise people to be politically correct  seems Chief Wahoo is slowly being replaced by a block "C". Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Chicago, Charlotte, Canton or even Concord? What's with the "C"?  C us capitulate?

I have known Chief Wahoo pretty much all my life. When I was six my dad took me to downtown Cleveland and purchased me a blue spring jacket with red stripes on the shoulders with Chief Wahoo on the left front of it . I loved it so much I proudly wore it out of the May Company.

Certain things that are just Cleveland. The #1 basketball player coming home to win a championship for where he grew up. The Browns with the distinction of being the only team in the NFL without an emblem on their helmet and Chief Wahoo. Along with my T-shirt CLEVELAND Where Championship Dreams go to Die.

Not a die-hard Cleveland fan as some of you might be. I feel like Charlie Brown with Lucy pulling the ball away. I'll root for them but deep in my heart I wait for the failure. Jose Mesa was the last straw!

Never in my youth or in my adult life did I ever believe the chief was a symbol to degrade American Indian culture.

We are the Cleveland Indians. a short note; Chief Wahoo caricature of the 30's and 40's did to me seem offensive.

Now Baseball is big screens, and food! Look give me a bag of peanuts and a hot dog with stadium mustard and I'm set. No need to find Spaghetti and Meatball pizza between inning.

Look when I go to a baseball game , I go to watch baseball.
When I go out to eat I don't expect a baseball game to breakout.

Help me here is Chief Wahoo on the final steps to not being associated with our team or city?

Am I wrong? Seems I feel I'm losing a beloved friend. What next, a Pixie on the side of a Browns helmet? Or an advertisement?

Well there's always a game to watch in our flats along with no $10 beer!

10 Comments:

At April 4, 2016 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Jim said...

Every year we have to listen to people tell us how Chief Wahoo degrades the Native Americans.
Well, I am officially 1/8 Cherokee and I beg to differ.
I do not see the logo as offensive at all.
As a matter of fact, I have always been proud of the Indians as a team and proud of their logo.
IMO, some people just look for ways to be insulted or offended.
I REALLY wish the management of the Indians ball team would stop listening to a few people with a bias and let the rest of us (I would guess a majority) just enjoy life, a ball game, and summer in Cleveland.
As a side note, "Indians" are called Native Americans" (like there really is such a thing) in order to be PC.
Therefore the "Indians" name should no longer offend us if we aren't called Indians.
Enjoy the game today and the boys of summer!

 
At April 4, 2016 at 11:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What next The Harvey Red Raiders?
don't laugh

 
At April 4, 2016 at 2:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a thought,
Being called a "Beaver" must be ten times worse than to be called a "Red Raider"
Come on girls stick up for your body parts! Your not a caricature are you?

 
At April 4, 2016 at 2:45 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

OUCH!

 
At April 4, 2016 at 3:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

2:37 = PIG, and TERM says "OUCH" = another PIG, and I wouldn't have expected better.

 
At April 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use to date a beaverette. Never got pass second base. Go Tribe!

 
At April 5, 2016 at 7:33 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

4:08 O.K.
3:56 I said OUCH to a comment and I'm a Pig? I guess it doesn't bother you to be called a Beaver?

 
At April 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your diluginal? Watching the tribe chief Wahoo on the ball caps and shoulders? What are you talking about?

 
At April 5, 2016 at 12:12 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

11:40 Remember I said it was a sloooow process? Watch this weekend as they play in Chicago you won't see the Chief!

 
At April 6, 2016 at 3:07 PM , Anonymous FSU said...

As a grad of Florida State. The Seminoles mascots are cherished by all students.
Osceola and Renegade. The Chief and his horse. Nothing no where is it more intimidating to watch. Seminole leader riding his horse by to midfield with a burning spear and planting it on the 50 yard line!

This debate is all crap.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home