Saturday, April 5, 2014

"KNOCK KNOCK KNOCKIN' ON HEAVENS DOOR" bob dylan

One of the greatest gifts God gives you as you travel your life on this earth is the number of people that come in and out of your life. Some for a short time, school, service occupation some for a short period and some for your whole life.

I met one of those people over a dozen years ago. My physician Dr. Marvin Feldstein.

Growing up I had Dr. Brownstone, Dr. Rizzo and then there seems to be a time in a persons life the only Doctor  you  know are pediatricians. That changed for me when in 2002 I received quadruple heart surgery by some fine surgeons from the Cleveland Clinic. After the surgery it was up to me to find a doctor. My Boss suggested his doctor. and so I went to see Dr. Feldstein. After a short meeting and physical he suggested a regiment of things to do and medications to take. I asked the good doctor why my surgeon hadn't recommended these actions? Doctor Marv answered me "well the glamor boys work their magic on you and then send your rearend to lowly doctors like me to see if I can keep you alive for the next twenty-five years." Good enough answer for me. That began a trip through gall bladder removal, diabetes and damn near everything else that came along. Throughout the years Dr. Marv and I had many conversations about my life as well as learning about his and how his wife and he came to settle in Mentor. Where along with establishing a practice he built the Mentor Medical Building on Mentor Ave. across from the Mentor Library. Going to the doctor was a pleasure. His nurse told me he looked forward to our visit's and I always left him laughing or shaking his head.

My former wife need a doctor about five years ago and Dr. Feldstein agreed to take her on as a patient. She not a fan of doctors came back in a very good mood? Asking her how the visit went she informed me when the doctor entered the room he sat down and the first question he asked her, "what was it really like being married to Angelo?" That conversation lasted along time.

This morning I was informed my doctor had passed. I cried again just as I had when I found out he had bone cancer.

When I meet my maker the good doctor will be another soul I will thank God for bringing into my life.

Somehow I don't think there was any knockin' on a door in Heaven it just swung  open.

11 Comments:

At April 5, 2014 at 3:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! Finding things to be grateful for, rather than whining about our circumstances, adds quality to our lives, no matter how long we remain.

 
At April 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM , Anonymous Don Howlett said...

Thanks Term. That was really fast. He most likely worked until he could do no more. A great man, and good friend to all he treated and cared for. He is going to be missed

 
At April 7, 2014 at 7:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humanity...I do not visit here often and by coincidence I came across your post after a remarkable visit with a neighbor. I had brought roasted chicken, I can't eat meat, but I can cook well and he always had a path plowed for my weekly Monday clinic blood test, thank you was in order.

They had played host to a family member over the winter with cervical cancer, our numbers are few. The pain is indescribable, opiate in the morning to become vertical, yes, you wait in bed so you can physically stand and take the pressure off your spinal column, or whats left of it.

There were whimsical stories over puking and yes, I have plastic bags throughout...I do not find these issues laughable, at all.

Have you researched the medications, antibiotics, surgical interventions...insurance is as big a challenge as the cancers themselves. This was met with the proverbial 'deer in the headlight'. No, No, etc., No. Off to some distant cousin and there were more pressing concerns at hand. RV needs to be readied for the coming season, garden beds to be prepared, chuckle, laugh, chuckle.

Humanity, or lack thereof. I was in an asylum, went back last fall, the person who gave me the courage to go and see again was dead. 'Red' asked me, how did you get out. I said one day I regained mental consciousness and fought my way home.

"I no longer have one, my 'family' sold it and I have no where to go"...I could only respond, you need an advocate and I can't do it, its too close for me. There was one young nurse in therapy who did an imitation of me, slumped in a wheel chair. This was not being mean, he was displaying, you finish the sentence. When I went to leave, security was such that I had to be buzzed out, not in. Who wants in, no one, who wants out, all of us.

Now, readers need to get back to the issues at hand, pot holes, electric bills, I am not being harsh, it is a value system that at times needs to be though through.

I thank you for your post, your humanity and sharing it....

 
At April 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

7:23 Your in my thoughts and prayers.
Let's hope the nurse grows up soon.

My father taught me never to look down at someone, usless it was to give them a helping hand up. God Bless you.

 
At April 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM , Anonymous Fortunate Son said...

You should follow your Father's advice. Why haven't you? The stuff you spew out here shows me you are nothing like your Father!

 
At April 8, 2014 at 7:44 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

I have tried to, one other thing he taught me was to "call a spade a spade." Sorry.

 
At April 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You denigrated someone on this blog that I, and many others, have a lot of regard for. You lost the respect of a lot of people because of that, and many say they have not been back to this site since. One of the comments I heard around town was that you were not like your father, so seeing 3:57's comment prompts this post.

 
At April 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

4:22 Sorry, I guess you must have incorrectly assumed this was just another "feel good" about Painesville blogs.? Well we have plenty of those. I can guess who you refer to as denigrating, but look around you for the past twenty or so years Painesville has fallen back not forward. Chardon, Willoughby, Mentor forward thinking. Painesville our score is in what we loss not gain. Shop downtown? really. Wasn't there a hospital here? Maybe you should have taken care of it's needs. Look at what's become of our electric department? Look we hired a city manager in the dead of night without even a resume submitted and why?
Look around at Painesville and tell me we are better off following this persons leadership. They retired please retire.
I am the last person that needs to be reminded that I'm not like my father,. That said that man shared his love for Painesville with me. He started to see the decline but being the person he was he kept his thoughts to himself. In a way I'm glad he's not around to see what has become of the hometown he loved. He would be more than heartbroken.
So keep beliving in whatever it is you see or decide it's time this city heads in a new direction.

 
At April 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was not Rita McMahon, or any person in office. It was a private citizen. You were vile to a very decent person, and people noticed.

 
At April 18, 2014 at 8:20 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

4:16 I'm not going to keep guessing? Vile?

 
At April 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please keep guessing this person wants to make a game out of this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home