Friday, November 18, 2011

"IN THE AIR TONIGHT" phil collins

Today my second visit to Harvey took place. I am happy to report that, for the most part, you have a group of teachers who want to teach and a student body that wants to learn.

Can things improve? Should they? Yes. I along with many others believe the new members of the school board will be expecting greater results from everyone. I also believe we will see the system more transparent in the near future.

A young lady questioned me about the reason for my visit. I explained that there was a report circulating that claimed that less than 25% of the community cared about the students. One reason for being there was to disprove that thought. We, as a community, care for many different reasons.

I questioned the SRO officer about the fight reported to the blog last week. I asked him if he was out of the building. No, he was never informed about the fight from any administrator. He assured me that the respective people responsible for him and the school have reached an understanding about his duties in the building. He believes that situation has been corrected. All of this over a paper trail?
The student was NOT transported by EMS to Tri-Point… but a parent took him to the hospital. Again, no paper trail.

In my visit today, it seems that Fridays there is no dress code enforcement. A student mentioned that if it is not important on Friday then why is it important the rest of the week. I couldn’t respond to that question because I just do not have a good answer. Does anyone?

Yes, no headgear allowed but there were a few that just had to wear baseball caps in the building. Again, most students dressed appropriately. I’m getting old, so could someone explain what's with the ripped jeans with holes?

One thing that the school seems to be missing the boat on is that I always thought that when the bells ring you are supposed to go to your next class. It's amazing how many students are still going whatever they were going after the second bell rings. Along with school starting at 7:15 but apparently you have a grace period of 45 minutes before you are tardy. I believe that employers that will hire these students in the future will not have this liberal time schedule.

Again as a resident of Painesville, that SRO officer is needed and appreciated by both staff and students.

I believe his presence at Harvey is invaluable to the city and schools.

I also believe council members must receive his reports monthly and decide if the school should install metal detectors along with what else the school should provide at Harvey.

All institutions of learning must understand that they are responsible to the communities that they serve. Yes, no one wants his or her dirty laundry exposed. It is their obligation to use the resources at their disposal to provide a safe, learning experience. They should not be concerned about bad press…ignoring or hiding a problem only makes it worse. Deal with it now or deal with a bigger issue later. Ask the people in Happy Valley.

13 Comments:

At November 19, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone has been trying to rid Harvey of Grippi for four years. Now he's her boss. Can't wait!

 
At November 19, 2011 at 9:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Understand there may soon be another retirement on the school board?

 
At November 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I’m getting old, so could someone explain what's with the ripped jeans with holes?"

Or you simply may not be remembering that era...I'm in my late 50's (are we the same age?) and I remember ripped jeans w/holes in the early 70's (the big difference was back then jeans became ripped through natural wear & tear, not a the factory). My mother became infuriated and refused to allow me to accompany her to Fisher's grocery shopping when I was in high school (and who remembers Fisher's?) while wearing a pair of such jeans. Little wonder she passed on early. I still feel guilty about that incident! But that's seriously good news that Harvey is not as bad as some reports would have one believe. With a little (well okay, a LOT of) effort I believe HHS can become a shining model of not only racial diversity but of academic achievement. Here's hoping...

 
At November 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

I will admit that some of the ones the girls were wearing seemed to... lets say have rips and holes in odd places?
If the boys who wear oversized sagging jeans only knew what that meant in a prison?
Yes I have faith in what I witnessed. Along with a couple of new sheriffs on the board. I believe HHS will become a priority.
Fisher Foods Fisher-Fazio-Costa.
Heritage House Brand old memories.

 
At November 19, 2011 at 6:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just happened to pull up the article written in the Plain Dealer last week that explains the new teacher rating system in the State called value added scores. Everyone needs to read this and understand where Painesville teachers stand in the State and it isn't good! I also believe that a very big part of the problem is the administrators! Hope changes can be made.

 
At November 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also believe that the SRO is needed, appreciated by staff/students and invaluable to the City and the Schools. I also believe that Officer Ponder is a police officer and should be paid by and answerable to the Chief of Police. As soon as the PCLS start to pay any part of a policeman's wages he nothing more than a "rent a cop". Keep up the good work OP.

 
At November 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been away from this blog for some time. Upon return, I have realized that you people are sick. Term, you are better off greeting folks at Walmart than leading a blog which represents painesville.

Sick people!!!!!!!!

 
At November 22, 2011 at 3:59 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

Again, Good-by and will miss you.

 
At November 22, 2011 at 4:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thank God Term, is going away.

 
At November 22, 2011 at 7:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I also believe council members must receive his reports monthly and decide if the school should install metal detectors along with what else the school should provide at Harvey." Term, why should the council decide if the school should install metal detectors? Shouldn't this be up to the school board whom we elected be responsible for this decision? I don't want to see a precedent started where the city can tell the schools how and where to spend money. They are two separate entities for a reason.

 
At November 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

Well maybe the fact that the council is paying all of the SRO officers expenses?
Yes the school board should step-up and do.......?

 
At November 23, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Anonymous DUH said...

News for you, those boys know exactly what the saggy jeans mean in prison terms. Local churches have made that clear during service and those boys dont care.
I agree with 7:23, the city can not enforce metal detectors, that is the schools duty. They ARE two seperate entities. Maybe you should start a second site Painesville schools blogspot.

 
At November 23, 2011 at 8:25 PM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

The question is should ther be metal dectors in the High School?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home