Friday, April 17, 2015

"TRASH" alice cooper

One of my five favorites is in the news again. Yes we have problems with the "streetscape" contractor being dismissed expect Main  St. to be closed at least two more weeks. I believe city crews will finish the project. We can discuss the why's and the how's at another time.

This concerns the "contract" our former city public works director and former city manager dreamed up between the City of Painesville and Waste Management. I for the life of me can't remember a successful contract our former CM had?

Here's the deal as reported in the Painesville Pride. The City of Painesville will put a lien on your property if you sell  your home and the trash bill is not paid up in full . I even wonder if this is legal for the city to act as a collection agency for a private business? Do they get compensated for this extra service? Along with selling and keeping records of who purchased orange bags from the city?
Odd if this was legal you might think Dominion Gas would work through the city also? What next you owe late fees on Morley Library books and we won't turn the lights or water on until the house where you live pays the fine? These rules the city has passed have gone from a good idea to a pain in the rear to buy or sell a home in our city. You have an empty house and the city can charge you yearly if its unoccupied? Even if the property is maintained.

This trash problem is easily solved. First thing the resolution council passed to leave the contract in the hands of the city manager must be revoked  and put back into control of council, if council is to lazy to do this get a different council people it's called doing your job. How many of you have called  about a Waste Mismanagement problem and the council person has no idea what your talking about?

Waste Management must be hearing from many of you because at the Town Hall Meeting at Elm St. School  this month they will be there. When I asked councilman Flock why he invited them he told me they asked to be present. So if your interested and have issues to discuss keep April 30, 2015 free and meet at the school at 7:00 pm.

I guess I will end the post with a question. In the last ten years has our former city manager had a successful contract? AMP-OHIO, Battery Box Building, Wind Mills, Trash ect. I will ask to see this wonderful contract with Waste Management in the near future.

Thanks for being patient with me.

4 Comments:

At April 17, 2015 at 3:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's even a lot worse than that, unless that is what you meant; but I don't think Waste Management and the city can charge the new occupant over just an old unpaid Waste Management bill. I think you can also be charged just because each property has a mandatory Waste Management bill monthly, and an unoccupied building has no pass, and Waste Management and the city can still charge you and mess with you, because someone needs to pay monthly bills on each property in the city -- occupied or unoccupied. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is the scenario. So the new ownership would not only be responsible for any unpaid bills by the previous occupant and/or owner, but also for any months that the house/building was unoccupied and Waste Management was not able to charge that house/building -- I think it's that outrageous. Is that part of what you meant?

 
At April 19, 2015 at 4:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if I have a business with a dumpster and throw my garbage away there? I still have to pay for a service I have no intention using.

 
At April 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

3:05 A ten year old could have negotiated a better contract. But if no one holds councils feet to the fire, well what does that tell you?

4:26 Simple answer, YUP! (according to what they claim?)

 
At July 17, 2015 at 8:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am on low income and having a hard enough time paying my bills, and I go through very little garbage. It takes me over 2 months to fill up one of those orange bags, but now they are charging me $65/month for a service I don't even want and never agreed to pay. I don't even know how this scam is legal.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home