Monday, November 14, 2016

"SCHOOL SPIRIT" kanye west



Told 'em I finished school and started my own business/ They say,
'Oh you graduated?'/
No I decided I was finished

As most of you by now know through the News-Herald and social media that Lake Erie College is experiencing some racial discourse.

Starts with loud music goes to racial insults and vandalism.

Seems it starts with backlash against Black football player's and escalated from there.

Now first off Lake Erie finished the season 0-11. Fired their football coach halfway through the season so there's more going on here than meets the eye. As well as everybody loves a winner and loser's are orphans.

As I watched the athletic programs at our college I could never understand the desire to be an NCAA Division II program? I thought the make-up and size of the college fit a Division III program like Mount Union or John Carroll University much better.. Lake Erie came to the Division II dance much to late.

I always looked at Division II as just an intermediate division kind of in 'no mans land' Very few athletes pursue a professional career at that level. Some do but not many. Division III is for the student who plays the sport for the love of the game. Plus at Division III there are no athletic scholarships, although grants are available.

What's the college's plan?  They should be respected for there diversity but mixing students with $30,000 tuitions and athletic scholarships can be challenging

Is this an isolated incident?

Well I remember awhile ago a minority maintenance worker was in the process of suing the college over discrimination. Hired on at $12.00 per hr. and reverted to $8.00 ? I will try to find the story.

I hope Lake Erie can work through all this. They are the bright shinning star in Painesville.

3 Comments:

At November 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does the Lake Erie College have a football team> Isn't it a women college.

 
At November 15, 2016 at 6:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that Lake Erie being a Division II school has always seemed odd. I remember being at a breakfast 10+ years ago where a speaker from Lake Erie first indicated they were going that route after being NAIA previously. Supposedly it was explained that they chose that route to follow a tighter set of rules which always sounded like a BS explanation to me. Football programs are extremely expensive to operate unless you have a big alumni base and a TV contract, neither of which Lake Erie has. Absolutely a school of Lake Erie size (1,000 students + or - a hundred) is going to have conflict between sports centered students and its traditional students.

A coworker from my workplace graduated from Lake Erie about 3-4 years ago and said they found the athletes particularly obnoxious and that a large number of them are there purely to play their sport with little interest in academics.

I always chuckle when I read in this blog about gearing the city to the college. Yes, it is nice to give the students some places to spend their money locally but as a parent that sent 2 children to state colleges I can attest that by and large most students don't have a whole lot of spending power. What they do spend money on is fast food and alcohol (either legally or illegally). Also how many of Lake Erie's students actually live on or around campus as the makeup of the school is that there is a significant number of commuter students from through Lake and surrounding counties.

 
At November 15, 2016 at 11:46 AM , Anonymous TERM>> said...

6:33 I don't know some of those students have some nice rides? I know you are right about having a football program. You would think a student would take the opportunity to get a degree and it cost him four tears of football something they must love?

1:44 How long have you been living under that rock? Lake Erie went co-ed in the late 80's? and have fielded a football team since around 2007?

The lawsuit I mentioned in the post was for racial discrimination was:
Matson vs. Lake Erie College

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home